It’s Mental Health Month and it seems like now is as good a time as ever to talk about stress reduction.
We get it. Times are tough right now for everyone. Our regular routine has shifted. We may be more socially isolated. Or in tight quaran-quarters with others, which causes its own stress. Our normal outlets for stress relief are not open. But there are some simple ways to reduce stress, no matter where you are.
Here are 4 tips on how to reduce stress in the body and mind:
1. Structuring the Day. With all of today’s uncertainty it can feel like we don’t have any control over what will happen from one day to the next. What we do have control over however is our mindset and what we want to accomplish each day from home.
Adding structure to the day with small wins can create foundation of certainty, which in turn reduces stress and increases our sense of wellbeing.
A habit that can be helpful is to plan your day the night before. This can be as easy as listing 3 specific things you’ve been wanting to do, even as small as that article you've been meaning to read.
2. Relax the body. Many of us carry tension in the neck and shoulders. Stretching helps relax the muscles but also tells the nervous system to relax, too. The gentle movement produces endorphins, which is why it feels so good, too! See a brief routine of Stretch*s for Stress Relief or join us for a Stretch*d Virtual Session.
3. Relax the mind. Finding just a few minutes to pause each day helps the mind relax.
- Take a walk.
- Sit quietly.
- Read a book.
- Check-in with yourself to assess how you are feeling.
Here’s a brief video of our Stretch Your Mind routine, incorporating meditation, breathing and gentle stretching techniques. A lot of people think meditation has to be done with certain techniques or visualizations but what can be most helpful is to simply rest in the moment.
4. Practice gratitude. Research shows that even small acts of gratitude provide an overall sense of purpose and ease.
- Write down 3 things you are thankful for each day
- Call a friend and share why you’re grateful to them
- Show gratitude for what you have by supporting a great cause. We've chosen to support YourMomCares
YourMomCares is a non-profit dedicated to kid's mental wellness (Founders, Patsy, Terria and Sharon, are also moms to Adam Levine, Jonah Hill and Alicia Keys). YMC creates and funds mental health programs directly serving young people. During the COVID-19 crisis, this includes valuable healthcare, testing and tele-mental health services.
Donate to attend our special fundraising classes this week on Instagram Live, with all proceeds going directly to YourMomCares.
TUESDAY 5/19, 6 PM ET
Handling stress and relaxing the body and mind
THURSDAY 5/22, 8 AM ET
Pilates + Stretch with @sltnyc
30-min pilates + 10-min stretch with Amanda
Sign up for the latest
news, specials, secrets, life hacks